top of page
The History of Trinity Lutheran Church 
"Christ is our cornerstone. On Him alone we build." ('Christ is our Cornerstone,' Stanza 1)

Church Building History

The Crane Manor House was built in 1852 by Charles Carmer using granite from the quarry near the Bronx River. In 1873 Col Alexander Crane purchased the house and expanded it into a 21 room mansion in the shape of a cross on an estate of 32 acres. Col Crane lived in the house until his death in 1930.

In 1943 Dr. Millar McClintock purchased the Crane estate including the Manor House. He had hoped to convert the house into senior citizen housing but the village did not approve the plan. In the late 1940's he therefore began to sell the property; part was sold for private homes and Stonehouse Road was made to encircle the Manor House.


In 1949 McClintock sold the Manor House and the remaining 4 acres to Trinity Lutheran Church. Trinity renovated the house for church use and had their first service in 1952.

Congregation History

Trinity was established on January 10, 1924 and soon afterwards acquired property on Alkamont and Scarsdale Avenues.

In 1949 the congregation celebrated its 25th anniversary and Dr. August Brustat was called as pastor.

From 1955 to 1979 Trinity operated a Christian Elementary School. From 1979 to 2023 the Alcott Montessori School occupied the building.

The "Inviting Christ" statue, a gift from the Eichhammer family, was erected in 1964.


Trinity in Recent Years

Rev Merlin Meyer succeeded Dr. Brustat and served as pastor from 1971 to 1997.

Dr. Merlin Rehm then served as pastor from 1998 to 2014 at Trinity. Under his direction the congregation grew and new activities such as Vacation Bible School were introduced.

Pastor Ronald Rieger then served as an interim pastor from 2015 to 2017 at Trinity. 

Pastor Gordon Naumann served as Trinity's pastor from the summer of 2017 until the fall of 2022 when he accepted a call to serve as pastor at St. John's Lutheran Church, Hazleton, PA. 

Our current pastor, Pastor Curtis Stephens, was installed on July 1, 2023. He continues to serve Trinity with joy, along with his wife, Naomi, and their two wonderful children. 

rinity Lutheran Church

bottom of page